Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Ireland: the Good, the Bad, but Not the Ugly Day One

Day 1. 7:38 am. Friday, October 31, 2008

Last night couldn't have been less stressful - flying to Dublin and getting to the hostel on my own. It's almost disappointing, seeing as how I worried about it for so long. Almost.

I was even lucky enough to end up with a four-bed room and still have it all to myself.

When I got off the plane last night (outside), my first thought was 'It smells different'. It smells wonderful here, though I can't put my finger on why, exactly. I had a great conversation with my taxi driver, who told me that the Kerry area has vegetation unique from the rest of the world. I even felt that long-awaited for euphoric feeling when I told him I was part Irish and he said "Welcome back." Those two words had quite a powerful effect on me, as earlier I had been wondering if I'd feel a kinship at all to the people living here.

My hostel is as nice as a hotel. I even get a free sparse breakfast (and found some peanut butter in the fridge!). I apparently woke up too early, though, because I've been moving as slow as humanly possible and I still have half an hour free.

So far, I am really loving traveling.
___________________________________________________________________________

I'll post the other days soon.

No comments: